Friday 27 February 2009

Marc7 & Soup (ex-Jurassic 5) of Portable Payback

Certified Banger: What’s up Portable Payback?! Thanks for reaching out to me! I’m pretty excited about the project you two have got going on. Let’s talk about it: For those who don’t know; who are you and who were you?!

M: I’m Marc 7 formerly of Jurassic 5
S: I’m Zaakir aka Soup

CB:And what’s in the name Portable Payback? Where did that come from? Is it anything to do with James Brown?

S: Sev came up with the name and I like the fact that it has no hold to it… meaning we can go wherever… It's portable. And I think ALL hip hop has something to do with James Brown.
M: The name came to me one day when I was in the kitchen talking to my wife, I was watching a commercial that mentioned the word “PAYBACK” and I said to myself, “Portable Payback, that’s the name of the group”.

CB: So you literally just dropped ‘Relax’. What’s that all about?

M: We felt like if we’re gonna reintroduce ourselves we’ve gotta put out the hottest single first and let everyone know we’re back, we’re super talented and we’re ready. Soup and I are about to pull a Ghostface and Raekwon on everybody that’s sleeping on us.
S: It just came about for me, the first way we did it was totally different from what you hear now. And it wasn’t like we were trying to make a statement, that’s just where the music lead us.

CB: Did you know Young Einstein had used that same Simon Haseley sample? Is it a bad thing that you both came out with it together?!

S: I found out through a review that we got and my first thought was DAMN (until I
heard it) after that I was like we good. Cause theirs is waaay different!
M: I heard the song and it sounds nothing like ours, in fact it’s a lot faster. Ugly Duckling are all good dudes and I wish them success with their new album.

CB: The single is taken from an EP. What’s it going to be called? What can we expect from that?

M: There’s no name for the EP as of yet but you can expect it to drop this summer followed by heavy touring in the U.S. and Overseas.

CB: Will you be going off in a different direction to your work with Jurassic 5? Will there be things that are kept the same?

M: The sound were coming with in my opinion is nothing like J5 and I think the only thing that will be the same is the work ethic and the showmanship.
S: MOST DEFINITELY ! Only thing that'll look and sound familiar will be me and Sev and that’s where it STOPS!

CB: Soup, I know you sing, will there be more melody with Portable Payback?

S: All day long and I don't care what Seven say. He jus mad cause they don't consider him the “lil Luther” of love!

CB: Your voices are both quite recognisable, a must have in this over-MC-saturated world. Would you agree with that?

S: That and having your own bag!
M: I would have to agree with you 100 percent. Thank god we put in work early and built a fan base.

CB: What are your feelings post J5 as a result of everything – from the group‘s conception to the split, the good and the bad?

M: The good thing is that I enjoyed my time in J5 and was ready to ride with the fellas to the end. The sad part is that the fans were robbed of a proper farewell tour because Chali 2na quit out of the blue in the middle of our 1st euro tour in 3 years to pursue his still yet to be released album.
S: I'll never front on the experience cause that was more than I could have ever dreamt, but the people, certain ones - total frauds!

CB: What were your personal feelings about ‘Feedback’?

M: I thought Feedback had some really great records on it, but there was no push. Also it was a mistake to release the Dave Matthews song right out the gate.
S: I dug it! I felt we were turning away from that "halo rap" meaning "eat your vegetables, look both ways before crossing the street, lets all share in the goodness".

CB: Has your experience with record labels influenced how you intend to progress with Portable Payback?

S: Look, the days of bashing labels are over, its to many ways to do without them. Everything we've done will influence our progress with this movement.
M: Soup and I are in a ownership position now. Our current deal allows us to retain ownership of our masters as well as split profits 50/50.

CB: Have you got any more plans for the near future?

M: I’m still writing films and Soup and I have projects that we’re about to unleash. We’re just excited to get the album out and tour again.
S: We better, but right now this is the spring board. And thank you for being our FIRST and ONLY interview so far. For real, thank you so much.

CB: Well be sure to keep me in the loop! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Are there any things you want to add before we wind up?

M: I just want all the J5 fans to know that Soup and I have love for all you guys and pray that you’ll support us in our new endeavour.
S: Don't expect and look out for what we do next.

No comments:

LinkWithin