Wednesday 2 September 2009

Lunar C Interview

Certified Banger: Can you tell us your necessary background details so we can build on basics for the rest of the interview?

Lunar C: Yoyoyo, I’m Lunar C - an MC from Missing People and Sinoptic Crew.

CB: What are your current or upcoming projects? ie albums, singles, tours, guest spots…

LC: I’ve been working on quite a lot of projects this year. A few months ago me and Missing People released our debut EP ‘Glossop View’. I’m just about to release my debut solo project ‘The Lunar CD’ which should be out in the next two months and will only cost £1; so get your squid out! It’s gonna have roughly 20 of my best tracks on there and some sick features from West Yorkshire’s finest MCs and producers. Also the whole Sinoptic crew (Lunar C, EXP, JND, Angry Nik, WYdeboi, Neverlearn and Angela Bellis) have got ‘The Badger Sex mixtape‘ coming in the next few months too which is just gonna be all of us killing it. This year I’ve featured on JND’s ‘Working Classics’ ,Mastermind’s ‘Cut n Paste mixtape’ and I’ve just laid a verse down on a remix of Wu-Tang’s ‘Criminology’ track which is gonna be 6 MC’s: Me, Jack Flash, J Simple, Joker Starr, Spida Lee and Gen for Gen’s ‘Forbidden Jutsu mixtape’. Me and WYdeboi have been collaborating with a sick beatmaker from Leeds called Bridgens ,I’ve collabed with No Pretense, Adverse and Immranimal from Shedmen, Leady and maybe more which I might have forgotten. I’ve also got a crew of about 6 14 and 15 year old MCs that I’m kinda mentoring and they know all about Hip Hop which is rare for young UK MCs these days. I truly believe they are gonna shock alot of people with the skill they already have - they freestyle and write everyday and are about to do their first track soon so look out for Kontraband, Kid Nem and Sinister!

CB: You’ve been busy. How would you describe your sound? Is there any one track that would best define your style?

LC: If I had to describe my style I would just say my name is quite self explanatory. I’m a bit of a lunatic and I just write whatever comes to mind and it’s usually either a bit perverted and a bit crazy but I can switch it up and be versatile when I want to.

CB: Who have been your biggest musical influences and which Hip Hop artists have inspired you? Which are your favourite albums? What music were you brought up on?

LC: I’m only 19 so I think in the beginning it was Wu-Tang clan that got me hooked on Hip Hop but I’ve always been into music; all different types. My dad brought me up on everything from Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Faith No More to Mos Def and Cypress Hill so I’ve acquired quite a varied taste. I go through phases of listening to different rappers though at the mo I’ve been listening to a lot of Rakim ,Sage Francis and MF Doom .

CB: What is your earliest memory of anything Hip Hop related? First rap track heard? First time you rapped?

LC: I must have been a sprog but I can remember the first time I tried to rap. All I used to do when I was like 13 was sit in my room and listen to Wu-Tang (I know I keep mentioning them but, f**k you; they’re dope) tracks over and over and memorize the lyrics so the first time I tried to write my own they just sounded like a weak version of them so I only ended up writing a couple of bars and didn’t try again till I was 16. Since then I haven’t gone a day without rhyming .

CB: Where are you from? Can you tell us a bit more about the Hip Hop scene there?

LC: I’m from Bradford, West Yorkshire. I personally think that WY has most of the best artists in the UK and I rep it to the fullest. Bradford is also making a name for its self too which is exciting ‘cause it’s been a long time coming. We used to have Breadbins and Stack Chedda which Dr Crobe and Miki B (Brutal Artistry) used to put on but they came to an end a while back and I only managed to make it to one of those nights ‘cause of my age. But now Bane and Miki B are putting on a new night in Bradford called ‘DISGRACELANDS’ which is fire and is really helping the Bradford and WY scene to grow!


CB: What about the Hip Hop scene in general, UK or worldwide – where do you think it’s headed? Are things good/bad? What are your current philosophical thoughts on the current trends in rap music.

LC: Obviously I don’t think the Hip Hop scene is in the best shape its been in but I think there’s hope for determined talented artists if we just push our product in the right way and maybe stop moaning and being depressed and bitching. I was talking to an MC called JSN who does Hip Hop and Grime and we was having a little debate. I said to him “You need to listen to more UK Hip Hop. Why don’t you?” and he said “because most of it is just people moaning and it’s not positive” and to be fair to a degree I agree with the dude. Qe need to stop bitching as much about what we’re not doing and actually give it a go, but also I see it from the point of view of a struggling artist where you can only rap about what you know and if you’re poor then most of your s**t is gonna be about that. I don’t know if real Hip Hop will ever be a lucrative business again, the media only ever dare steal watered down parts of our culture and capitalize on it; they aren’t interested in the raw form – it’s too risky.

CB: What process do you go through when writing a track?

LC: I’ve always got bars going through my head which I usually write down and make a verse out of but these days I’ve been trying to write to beats and make some proper tracks because there is a difference between good bars on a good beat and a good track, with a good track everything has to blend and be perfect and capture a vibe.

CB: Where do you hope to see yourself in 5 years, 10 years time?

LC: I’ve got a lot of things cooking up for the future. In 5 years I hope I’m alive and living off music and have enough money to eat and smoke weed!

CB: Any last words?

LC: GET YOUR SQUID OUT! Lunar C

1 comment:

damonsmithies said...

Sickest mc on the block lunar is. Havin people like lunar, jnd and exp (plus freyed knot obvs) Rhyming in that northern manner makes me fuckung proud to be Yorkshire. Damn proud......

Peace, Damo

LinkWithin