Friday 4 December 2009

Skandal Interview

Certified Banger: What’s up Skandal? How are things with you?

Skandal: Things are s**t bruv - my macbook just died on me! Imma jump off a building in a minute, I may have lost near 3 years of work and rough songs.

CB: Man that's bad - hope you revive it, then you can get a PC and transfer all the files! You’ve just dropped your mixtape ‘Hunger Pains’ with the mighty DJ MK. How well is that being received?

S: It's doing really well, to be honest. I knew it was a solid release due to the work we put in but it's done well; it got album of the week in The Independent newspaper!

CB: High praise indeed! Tell us a bit about it – is it a collection of stuff you’ve been working on over a short or long period of time? Are there original beats or dubs? How would you describe its overall sound?

S: I'd say I had my mind set on doing a mix CD with an idea of spitting that UK way over some of them down south beats (which I really happen to like). We threw some good old hardcore Dilla/Black Milk-esqe boom bap ish in to mix it up a lil. Overall the release has a very electronic sound to it with the exception of a couple soul samples on the down south beats.

Most of the tracks are dubs, not that many people will know the ones I've used and two joints are produced by Beat Butcha ('Bold As F**k' and 'Home Ec').

CB: Do you consider ‘Hunger Pains’ as your platform to higher things? What will you be doing next?

S: Yeh of course, I mean all this graft is gearing up to an album. I'mma put out a few good more mixtapes before I drop that as I'm still relatively unknown. But yeh onwards and upwards!

CB: What is your focus as a rapper – do you prefer story telling, lyricism, rhyme for rhymes sake – how would you describe your style as an MC?

S: A jack of all trades and a master of none! To be honest I'll try and do it all, story telling, straight bars, emotionally charged s**t, songs, hook based s**t, commercial ish. What ever I feel at the time. I mean I love Hip Hop so you know it's in me to "keep it real" no matter what I do.

CB: Your first official release (was it ‘Project A’?) was pretty different to the mixtape – the beats were more grimy. Where do you think you sit when it comes to genre? Are you embraced by both the Hip Hop and the Grime scene?

S: Mmmmm by the artists yeh. Like I've said before no one can say I'm wack, so I get love from both sides of that coin. I mean it's obvious I'm influenced by both genres. But I'd still say it's Hip Hop. Grime has a lot of elements of Hip Hop too so even if I work with a grime artist or do a Grime or Dubstep track I'mma still bring that essence we all know and love to the table.

CB: You featured on the first volume of my ‘On The Radar’ series and it’s good to see how you’ve grown and progressed in the year since that dropped – what advice would you give to an underground artist about surviving in this game? Is there a particular formula?

S: Yeh safe for putting me on there bro, it gave me a leg up at the time. Umm as for advice, all I can say is if you like my progression and you wanna follow that formula all I'd say is curb your ego, listen to criticism and take it on board, especially if its one of your peers or someone you rate. Pay attention to producers and listen to any direction they or your engineer maybe give you. Oh and dedication. Work hard and be dedicated.

CB: I’m always on the look out for new artists to support – who is worth my support in 2010?

S: Me!

CB: What would you rather have – 50 Cent’s money, Jay-Z’s rhymes or Eminem’s pop star status?

S: Ooo you making me think here, mmm if I had 50 Cent's money that would mean I'd have his business acumen right? That's a string I've yet to add to my bow and that money would help push my music to another level commercially and internationally so I'll go wit Fiddy!

CB: OK, so if you could choose one thing (skill, style, image etc) from one rapper to have as your own what would you choose? If someone had to pick one of your attributes to be theirs, which do you think they’d take?!

S: You know what, I haven't got an image, it's not something I set out to have or I'd have one right? But I've noticed you need one to stand out from the crowd. Everyone has an image from Immortal Technique to Lil' Wayne and that's one thing I'm lacking. I'd have to take, Bubba Sparks! Naaa I'm playing... I'd try and create my own image dawg, I can't be on that plagiarism shiiiiiiet!

As for mine I know it wouldn't be the nose picking, I'd have to say it would be my work ethic, not many are matching mine these days. We could all do with some hunger pains!

CB: Thanks for answering my (sometimes strange) questions. Anything you’d like to add before we finish?

S: Naa fam I'm good. Bless it up yeh. Shout out to all my real heads! Oh yeh check djgone.tv

Peace

LinkWithin