Thursday 18 February 2010

Gen Interview

Certified Banger: Whatup Gen – this has been a long time coming – apologies for that!

GEN: I know man everyone’s making moves though, ennit?!

CB: You’re as yet, relatively unknown on the scene – introduce us to yourself and give us all that us Hip Hop heads need to know:

GEN: My names Gen, or Gen Uchiha. Born in Huddersfield, Raised in Wolverhampton, I’m a Hip Hop Poet, and Artist/Animator. I’m into anything everyone isn’t.

CB: Why the name Gen?

GEN: Got the name when I’d taken a break from recording music and thought it was time to reconstruct myself. As I was doing it I was reading about meanings for Japanese different words and different symbols and came across “Gen” which is “Foundation” like a beginning for many different words and meanings.

CB: You’re rolling with Asaviour, a well respected artist in the UK, how did that come about?

GEN: He stumbled across a track I made for my friend who died 2 years ago, he really liked it then we linked up at Apa-Tight’s and then got working together.

CB: How would you describe your music? What is your lyrical style? What kind of beats do you prefer to spit on?

GEN: I really like Pete Rock, 9th Wonder, Tribe Called Quest style beats, Dilla, Doom, anything with soul I can get with it.

CB: Have you had any releases yet? Are there any in the pipeline and when can we expect them?

GEN: I have a mixtape ‘Forbidden Jutsu’ - Vol.1 is VERY late, so I’m releasing Vol.1 and 2 within a month of each other sometime soon, they will be free internet releases. Also I’m working on some projects with Apatight, Soul Unique and Savvy.

CB: Have you done any collaboration recently? I heard a rumour that you’ve recorded a bit of a West Yorks posse cut over a famous beat.

GEN: Yeah for ‘Forbidden Jutsu’ Vol.1 I have Joker Starr, Jack Flash, J Simple, Spider Lee, Lunar C and me dropping bars on ‘Criminology’; it’s pretty dope.

CB: You obviously rate those artists – which other rappers or producers are you really feeling right now?

GEN: UK wise I like Hey!Zeus, big fan of Joker Starr, Pride. Producers - there are tons, obviously Apatight, DJ IQ, Soul Unique. Mike Forte I’m hoping to do some work with soon. I could go on but I just want to get something out people can listen to.

CB: Would you ever consider spitting a verse on a track by an X Factor winner? Or any other pop star – who would it be? Which pop star would you most like to have feature on a track of yours?

GEN: I’d do a track with Alexandra Burke, she’s soulful enough to get a good track out of me. Oddly enough Rhianna is starting to grow on me, her style’s becoming more and more unique every album she does. I’m interested to see what kind of artist she’s going to be in 3-4 years.

CB: If the pop star feature doesn’t come through what’s your game plan for getting your voice heard?

GEN: Well I’m planning for just mixtapes and underground stuff for the next 2 years maybe a few EPs and street albums along the way. I’ve got loads of projects lined up so I’m just dropping whatever I feel like and if people feel it they feel it.

CB: How important is local/national/international exposure to you? Do you want to be widely heard? Do you think your output is relevant to the masses – would they get it?

GEN: Purely because music isn’t my main hustle, and I don’t have anyone who depends on me, I have the luxury to make music however I want, and cater it to whomever I see fit. Plus now I’ve grown up and witnessed what the pressures of being in that kind of spotlight does to the most honest of people, can’t say I want to be on a mega star level. I’d like for UK Hip Hop to get the exposure as a whole not just me as an individual.

CB: Thanks for dealing with the grilling – anything you want to say finish off? Anything you want to ask?!

GEN: I only became aware a few weeks ago there are actually a few people waiting to hear my music, so sorry for keeping you waiting. If you haven’t heard anything check Myspace or download the sampler from the Saving Grace Website. Peace.

www.myspace.com/ukgen

www.saving-grace.co.uk

No comments:

LinkWithin